The connector component is used to connect two other components together—such as a port and a routing instance—so that data will pass between them.
From the Components tab, click Connectors > Create Connector
Use the drop-down list to select the parameters of the connector.
If the routing instance drop-down does not populate, then you must create a routing instance for that metro within the “Routing Instance” tab.
Routing instances associated with only Equinix routes will not appear in this drop-down.
Complete all required fields > click Create Connector
If you choose a “Tagged” port, you will be prompted to enter the VLAN ID (S Tag) and VLAN ID (C Tag).
If you choose an “Untagged” port, a VLAN of “1” is assigned to the connector.
Important: Only one connector can be created using this port. The next time you try to create a connector using the same port, the system will display an error indicating that this port has already been used as untagged and you will have to change it to “Tagged” and provide VLAN IDs for any future connectors.
To view and select optional services, click the drop-down menu next to Optional Network Services. If desired, select optional services. The following optional services are available on the Connector component:
Bi-directional forwarding detection: This service adds a specific protocol that allows rapid detection of a failure of a peering session.
Policer: You can add a policer to any connection that will set a traffic rate limit at or below the capacity of the port it is connected to, using the VLAN as the sub interface. All traffic to and from the routing instance, from all subscriptions that are not dedicated, will be limited to this speed. It is also the speed from which the billing tier is derived on a connection.
Once complete, click Create Connector
- You will be able to select the Layer 3 service from the “Create Connections” page. Once you have selected the destination metro associated with this service, the portal will display the existing components (if any) the user has in this metro. The system will also display the components that you will require in order to create a connection to this service.
- You will have the ability to either a) configure a connection or b) start over, based on the details displayed in the “You Will Need This” section.
If you choose to configure this connection, you will be taken to a new page that will guide you to create and end-to- end connectivity with the selected Layer 3 service profile.
The service and location details previously selected by you will be visible on top of the page, throughout the guided ordering flow.
Throughout the guided ordering process, you will be able to click on the “Start Over” button and you will be taken back to the Create Connection page and all the previous selections will be refreshed.\
There are three possible workflows to create a new Layer 3 connection.
a. You already have an existing routing instance and connector that you will use to create a new subscription.
b. You already have an existing routing instance but will create a new connector to an existing routing instance, and then create a new subscription.
c. You will create a new routing instance, a new connector and a new subscription.
d. If you want to use an existing routing instance for your Layer 3 connection, use the new search functionality to search for a routing instance byname.
User Flow 1
You already have an existing routing instance and connector that you will use to create a new subscription.
- If you have an existing routing instance with a provision connector, the routing instance will be pre-selected by the system. You will also be able to view the details of the selected routing instance. If you have multiple routing instances in this metro, you will be able to select a different routing instance of their choice to proceed further. The details not being routing instance will be updated based on the routing instance selection.
- After making the routing instance selection, you will click on the next (subscription) button to proceed with the subscription creation.
- The system will create a default name for the subscription and you will have the ability to update the name of the The notification email shall also be pre-populating based on the email ID of the logged-in user. You will be able to add additional email addresses
- You will be able to select the optional services
- At this point you can either select the “Next (Review)” button to review the details of the connection, or go back to the routing instance page
- On the review page, you will be able to see the details after routing instance and the subscription used to create this Layer 3
- You will also have the ability to:
- Select a different routing instance
- Edit this subscription
- If the details on the review page OK, then you can click the submit button to create the connection
- Clicking on the Submit button will take you to the confirmation page and you will see a success message.
- On the confirmation page, you will be able to view the details of the component that were used as a part of the connection, by expanding each component.
- There will also be unique identification number that will be generated for each component that will be visible upon expanding each component to view its details.
- From the confirmation page you can click the button to return to home, or click on a link to create a new connection, which will take you back to the create connection page.
- The success message on the confirmation page also indicates that you will be able to view the details and status of each component from the “components” tab.
User Flow 2
User already has an existing routing instance but will create a new connector to an existing routing instance, and then create a new subscription.
- If you want to use an existing grouting instance but want to create the new connector to this routing instance, before creating the subscription, you can select the checkbox to create a new connector to the selected routing instance.
- Upon making the selection, a new form will be displayed and you will need to enter the details to create a new connector
- You will be able to select any optional service for the connector
- Clicking on the next button will take you to the subscription page that we have already discussed in two previous user flows.
- The details for the remaining flow (Review and Confirmation pages), has also been discussed in the earlier section.
User Flow 3
You will create a new routing instance (whether or not you already have a routing instance) and create a new connector to the routing instance, and then create a new subscription.
Create routing instance:
- Click on the create connection link to open a new pop-up and create either a public or a private routing instance.
- The name and email notification fields will be pre-populated, but you will have the ability to edit these fields.
- Enter the required fields and click on the “create routing instance” button.
- The newly-created routing will be pre-selected, and you will be able to see the details of the routing instance.
- You will also be able to edit or delete the new routing instance by clicking on the edit or delete links in front of the routing instance name.
Create a new connector
If you have created a new routing instance, the “create a new connector” checkbox will be pre-selected and you will not be able to uncheck it. This is because you are required to create a new connector before proceeding.
- Provide the details to create a new connector in order to proceed with the subscription creation.
- The review and confirmation pages have already been discussed in the previous sections.
Edit the components created from the Review Page
- You will be able to edit only the components that are newly created as a part of guided ordering process. If you use an existing routing instance as a part of guided ordering process, you will not be able to edit that routing instance from the Review page.
- If you selected an existing routing instance, then you will be able to select a different routing instance if you want to edit the routing instance from the edit But if you have created a new routing instance as a part of guided ordering, then you will be able to edit it but will not be able to select a different routing instance during the edit operation from the review page.
- If a new connector was created as a part of the guided ordering process, that connector will also be displayed on the review page for editing. If an existing connector was used, that will not be available for editing from the review page.
Once complete, you will see the following confirmation screen:
View connector status
From the Components tab, click Connectors.
Until the connector is provisioned, the routing instance status displays “Being provisioned.”
Once complete, the routing instance status will display “Available” state and the connector will display “Provisioned.”